NAPA — Things are looking up in terms of keeping quarterback Derek Carr healthy in 2019, and not just because both of his offensive tackles stand at 6-foot-8.Kolton Miller fought and clawed his way through his rookie season, mostly on one knee, and comes back in Year 2 heavier (pushing 330 pounds) and presumably smarter and more confident as the incumbent on the left side.Trent Brown, the NFL’s largest player at … Click here if you’re unable to view the photo gallery on your mobile device.
27 November 2009South Africa has secured an additional US$108-million (about R818-million) from the Global Fund to finance its HIV prevention projects over the next five years, which Deputy President Kgalema Motlanthe says has come at the right time, given the current financial environment.“This is very important for us as we try to mobilise additional resources for our response to the epidemic,” said Motlanthe, who is also chairperson of the South African National Aids Council.Motlanthe was addressing a plenary session of the council in Pretoria this week.National strategic plan reviewThe funding was made available after South Africa’s application to the Global Fund under a submission entitled “Leveraging partnerships to achieve the objectives of the national strategic plan”.Delegates attending the session were also briefed on the preliminary findings of the midterm review of the plan – the country’s blueprint to combating HIV/Aids.“This review took place alongside a United Nations led review of the health sector’s HIV programme as well as an analysis of our state of readiness to conduct mass counselling and testing,” Motlanthe said.He said the review focused on progress towards achieving the key objectives of the plan as well as the institutional arrangements at national, provincial and local levels to implement the plan“We acknowledge that the review team had a short timeframe to conduct the review and that a bit more work needs to be done to finalise the report,” he said.Challenges, HIV/Aids treatmentThe report found that while levels of knowledge about HIV are high, behaviour change remained a challenge. “Condom use has increased but we need to increase the consistent use of condoms significantly,” Motlanthe said.Regarding treatment, he said more than 700 000 patients were receiving treatment, but that the figure represented only 50% of those who need to be treated.The review found that the health system needs to be strengthened to ensure increased access to care and for services to be integrated with within the public health sector and between the public and private health sectors.“We really need to ensure that we mobilise and align all our resources to meet our targets. There are also challenges with regard to information about the epidemic. We collect lots of data but do not use the information intelligently to monitor progress,” Motlanthe said.Source: BuaNews
A journalist working for a vernacular daily in Chatra district of Jharkhand was abducted and allegedly beaten to death by unknown persons late on Monday. Chandan Tiwary, 32, had earlier lodged a complaint with the police apprehending a threat to his life. “Following an expose on irregularities in the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana, I’ve been threatened with dire consequences by Mahesh Dangi, husband of the local mukhiya…I fear a threat to my life from Mahesh Dangi…” Mr. Tiwary had said in his police complaint on April 6.Family members of the journalist have said a Maoist faction was behind the murder.
The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
No big names, no formula! Yet the trailer of forthcoming sports-based movie Khwaabb has received 1,22,000 views within 10 days of its release on YouTube. The director is overwhelmed.”The response is a proof that people have not closed minds towards experimental cinema,” Zaid Ali Khan, director of the movie, told IANS through SMS.”It’s very exciting to see this kind of a response and just goes to show that people are open to different, experimental and independent cinema,” he added.The movie deals with the life of an athlete and a swimmer and their dream to win an Olympic medal for India.The first trailer was released Aug 23 in the capital and it was uploaded online Aug 24.”I am very overwhelmed and I never expected such an amazing response,” said Khan.Made with newcomers Navdip Singh and Simran Motiani in the lead roles along with Nafisa Ali and Bajrang Bali Singh, it has been produced by Delhi-based production house, Bullseye Production.The film is slated for an October release.Watch the trailer here:
UEFA Champions League Aguero about to break the record but is he doing enough to impress Guardiola? Peter Staunton Click here to see more stories from this author Chief Correspondent Last updated 2 years ago 16:00 27/9/2017 FacebookTwitterRedditcopy Comments(2) Getty Images UEFA Champions League Manchester City v Shakhtar Donetsk Chelsea v Manchester City Shakhtar Donetsk Manchester City Chelsea Premier League Sergio Agüero Guardiola Opinion Inch by inch the Argentinian edges closer to the all-time City scoring record but his performance against Shakhtar left a lot to be desired Manchester City are doing so many things well at the moment that it’s difficult to pick out a weakness, but if you were to find one then there is no doubt that they could do with brushing up on their finishing.Shakhtar Donetsk in the Champions League provided probably the best test City have had this season. On the weight of chances created, the Ukrainian champions should have been defeated by a far wider margin than 2-0 at the Etihad.Man City 10/11 to win PL Article continues below Editors’ Picks Why Barcelona god Messi will never be worshipped in the same way in Argentina Lyon treble & England heartbreak: The full story behind Lucy Bronze’s dramatic 2019 Liverpool v Man City is now the league’s biggest rivalry and the bitterness is growing Megan Rapinoe: Born & brilliant in the U.S.A. Pep Guardiola must have endured sleepless nights last season when running over the opportunities his side squandered in matches which – arguably – cost them a Premier League title challenge.Here against Shakhtar, those familiar failings were threatening to resurface. Supporters were expecting the net to billow in the first half when Kevin De Bruyne raced clear before shooting wide. Leroy Sane then missed a very presentable chance. In the second half, substitute Raheem Sterling contrived to miss an open goal with a left-footed effort when it appeared easier to score.What was required at 1-0 was a goal to put the matter beyond doubt; to tell Shakhtar they were beaten and ensure a smooth finish.Ederson then set Sane away with a precision piece of distribution and the German won a debatable penalty. Here, then, was Sergio Aguero’s chance to not only write off Shakhtar but to write himself into the City record books as their joint-top scorer.For those keeping count that’s five of his last seven penalties that the Argentinian has now missed in the Champions League. He’s missed five of his last 15 in all competitions.Guardiola is very dismissive of these kind of statistics; “He will score the next one,” is the usual refrain. That may well be true. Aguero will undoubtedly put away at least one more penalty for City and will undoubtedly usurp pre-war hero Eric Brook in the goalscoring charts any day now, but his current travails extend far beyond the penalty spot.City are creating so many chances that the odd one missed here or there makes little or no difference. It could mean winning 4-0 instead of 5-0. But it’s in Aguero’s all-round game that the cracks are ever most noticeable.The 29-year-old completed only eight passes in his 85 minutes on the pitch against Shakhtar and touched the ball 23 times in total. Bear in mind seven of those touches were shots – including the penalty – and you can see how badly Aguero is struggling for involvement in this City lineup. Goals will come; Guardiola teams will always require a forward to apply the finish but there is so much more that the Catalan expects from his frontmen that he didn’t get from Aguero on Tuesday.It’s why Gabriel Jesus was summoned from Palmeiras last January; to shame Aguero into upping his work rate. That’s why Alexis Sanchez was pursued so zealously over the summer. He is no more a refined striker than Aguero – far from it – but his industry is rare and much closer to what Guardiola needs.To be the centre forward in this team is a luxury. Kevin De Bruyne and David Silva are loading bullets left, right and centre. Jesus, Sane, Sterling and Bernardo Silva are conjuring crosses and through balls. Benjamin Mendy, who’s now sadly injured, and Kyle Walker have been overlapping and finding their forwards with telepathic ease. All Aguero has to do is stand still long enough and he’ll soon find a ball hitting him.But that’s not enough. There are no sacred cows around here anymore as Guardiola has proven with the jettisoning of Joe Hart and the demotion of Yaya Toure. Even when fit Vincent Kompany will struggle to get back in Pep’s ideal XI. The only one of the old guard retaining any sort of non-negotiable stature is Silva and that’s because he fits the paradigm of a Guardiola player to a tee.Aguero knew he had to work hard this season to stay uppermost in Guardiola’s thoughts. For the most part he managed that well through the opening weeks. His hat-trick against Watford was full of promise for the campaign ahead, demonstrating compatibility with Jesus as well as a tenacity not always associated with the Argentine.But against Shakhtar, Aguero was a dud while Jesus got the hook early in the second half after failing to impress on the right side of the attack. This was the first time in a long time that City were genuinely stretched – a meaningful contest – and Aguero was nowhere to be found.Aguero was warned at the start of the season that although he is preeminent in terms of his City goalscoring achievements he can no longer always consider himself Guardiola’s top pick in attack. It was the games against the rest of the top six last season – one point against Tottenham, one against Liverpool and none against Chelsea chief among those results – that really put a dent in City and Pep’s ambitions. Aguero has got to demonstrate starting this weekend against Chelsea that he is capable of satisfying Guardiola’s demands against the serious teams contesting titles as well as the also-rans hoping simply to avoid a hammering.Guardiola has a ruthless streak a mile long if he thinks a big call could improve his team’s cohesiveness. Aguero will know that being City’s all-time goalscoring record holder will count for little if he cannot keep up his end of the bargain – to work hard and score.There isn’t a City fan alive who doesn’t love him but Aguero learned a long time ago that there is only one man he needs to impress at the Etihad. And he’s not sitting in the stands.
TagsTransfersAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say Manchester return? Real Madrid dismiss anti-Man Utd clause claim for Diazby Carlos Volcano10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveReal Madrid have dismissed claims have an anti-Manchester United clause in their deal for Brahim Diaz.The Spanish midfielder is leaving Manchester City for Real today in a deal rising to €20m. Diaz will sign a Madrid contract to 2025.The agreement includes a 15 per cent sell-on clause, however English media claims of an anti-United clause have been dismissed, says AS.It was suggested City had demanded a clause stating that if Diaz was sold to United, Real would pay 40 per cent of the fee to the Blues. However, this claim has been denied.Diaz will be presented to local media and fans on Monday at the Santiago Bernabeu.
Agent: Southampton will regret losing Gabbiadiniby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveManolo Gabbadini’s agent says Southampton will regret losing the Italy striker.Samp have agreed to re-sign Gabbiadini on loan with a €12m obligation to buy from Southampton.“He felt good at Sampdoria and wanted to go back home,” Silvio Pagliari told Sky Sport Italia from Milan Linate airport, where he was waiting for the 27-year-old.“We wouldn’t have gone anywhere on loan. It was his will to cut the cord with Southampton, although he had a great time there.“He also discussed tactics with Sampdoria and I’m sure he’ll carve out a place in the team.“He’s a good player and, in my opinion, one of the best strikers in Italy.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
David De Gea ‘honoured’ to sign new Man Utd dealby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester United goalkeeper David De Gea has signed a new contract.De Gea has signed a new four-year contract with the option to extend that by a further year, ending long-term speculation over his future at the club.De Gea was signed from Atletico Madrid by Sir Alex Ferguson in 2011, taking time to adapt to English football before establishing himself as one of the best goalkeepers in the world.Now 28-year-old, he has won every major trophy, bar the Champions League, in his time at the club, and has been voted Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year on four occasions.“It has been a privilege to spend eight years at this great club and the opportunity to continue my career at Manchester United is a genuine honour,” De Gea told the club website. “Since I arrived here, I could never have imagined I would play over 350 games for this club.“Now my future is fixed, all I want is to help this team achieve what I believe we can and win trophies again, together.“As one of the senior players in the squad, I want to support and lead in any way that I can to assist the younger players, so they know what it means to play here.”I still feel that I have so much more to achieve at the club and I truly believe that Manchester United can build on the club’s tradition of success and reward our fans for their support.“I am committed to continue repaying the fans for all of the care that they’ve shown me during the good times and the bad.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
Kolkata: Mayor Firhad Hakim reiterated on Monday that funds in the fixed deposit of the civic body will be utilised only for development work and civic amenities and any wastage of such funds will not be tolerated.Replying to a query from Congress councillor Prakash Upadhyay regarding the existing amount in the fixed deposit of the Kolkata Municipal Corporation (KMC) at the monthly meeting, Hakim said: “We have an amount of Rs 17.10 crore till February 2018. The funds in the fixed deposit, whether it is more or less, does not matter. What matters most is offering services and civic amenities to the people. Since the Trinamool Congress took over the board of the KMC in 2010, it has provided civic amenities in the form of potable drinking water, lights, development of slums, an overhaul of the drainage system, scientific plan for solid waste management etc.” According to Hakim, when Subrata Mukherjee of the TMC ended his term as the Mayor in 2005, the amount of fixed deposit stood at Rs 377.16 crore. When Bikash Bhattacharya of the Left Front board took over as Mayor, he sold a number of plots of land and the fixed deposit went up to Rs 721.25 crore. Hakim further informed that when Bhattacharya’s term as Mayor ended in 2010, he left Rs 588. 67 crore in the fixed deposit of the KMC. “The revenue earning is a part our job but our main aim is to ensure that the citizens get the best of amenities,” he maintained. The Mayor further said that the KMC has set a target of three years to ensure the supply of potable drinking water to every single pocket in the city. “There are problems in certain pockets, particularly in the added areas in the southern part, and we are taking all possible measures to augment water supply. The capacity of the Garden Reach Waterways is being raised by 25 million gallon and we are also constructing small booster pumping stations in these areas to boost water supply,” he added.