Portsmouth manager Guy Whittingham leapt to the defence of supporters who invaded the pitch at full-time at Griffin Park.Hundreds of away fans stormed onto field at the final whistle after their side conceded two late goals to lose 3-2 against Brentford.But Whittingham insisted it was done in celebration, given that ownership of the club has been secured by supporters after a long period in administration.“No-one wants to see that happen but it is not done in a violent way,” he said.“It is done because they are celebrating the club and I hope people appreciate that, because it’s about the euphoria surrounding things at Portsmouth at the moment.“The situation at the club has not been going on for the last 13 or 14 months, it’s been happening for four years, and unfortunately things spilled onto pitch at the end.”Whittingham added: “To have your own supporters run the club is what everybody wanted and hopefully the club can finally turn the corner now.“We know there is every chance we will be in League Two next season but we know even from that we can build on and push forward again.”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 Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
The Chhattisgarh police on Sunday claimed that heavy damage was inflicted on Maoists during the 48-hour-long Operation Prahar in the State’s Bastar region.Vivekanand Sinha, Inspector General of Police, Bastar, said, “For the first time we conducted an operation in the Maoists’ core area in Sukma. For 48 hours our forces were in the area and inflicted heavy damage. There is a possibility that a minimum of 15 to 20 Maoists were killed in the operation. This is a big morale booster for our forces.”According to sources, Hidma, a Maoist leader and chief of the Maoists’ military battalion in south Sukma, suffered injuries during the operation. Mr. Sinha said, “Many senior Maoist leaders suffered injuries. That we stayed in the area for two days is a big achievement. We recovered a huge cache of explosives and other material.” Mr. Sinha said one of the five Special Task Force jawans injured during the operation succumbed to injuries on Saturday night. However, the Maoists denied the police’s claim that 15 to 20 Maoists had been killed in the operation. In an audio clip, the CPI (Maoist) said, “The police are misleading people about the death of 20 Maoists. Thousands of policemen attacked the villages in Tondamarka on Friday and many villagers died in the attack. Many elderly persons and women were beaten up by the police and forcibly taken away. Our People’s Liberation Guerrilla Army [PLGA] retaliated and managed to kill a large number of policemen. But the policemen are not revealing heavy casualties on their side. Only Lakkhu, a PLGA member, was killed in the counter-attack and the policemen took away his body.” The IGP said villagers reported seeing nine bodies in a village in south Sukma on Saturday.