… Pollard, Narine omittedBRIDGETOWN, Barbados (CMC) – Dynamic all-rounder Andre Russell was yesterday named in West Indies’ 15-man World Cup squad but speculation over the anticipated return of several veteran T20 stars proved pointless, as they were overlooked for the ICC showpiece in England next month.The 30-year-old Russell has played 52 One-Day Internationals but has not suited up for West Indies in almost a year. He was recalled for the recent series against England but did not feature due to injury.Left-handed opener Evin Lewis, who has also been on the sidelines for nearly a year, has been recalled in the squad which retains the core of players who featured in the recent five-match home series against England which finished tied 2-2.Debate had raged over the last week about the possible inclusion of previously marginalised players but there was ultimately no recall for the likes of all-rounders Kieron Pollard and the retired Dwayne Bravo.Off-spinner Sunil Narine, currently campaigning in the Indian Premier League, was not considered for selection due to a finger injury and neither was fast bowler Alzarri Joseph who also pulled out of the cash-rich T20 league with a dislocated shoulder.“Based on the new selection policy approach which allowed us to consider a number of players that have not regularly appeared in the side over the last two years, we had a wide base of talent from which to choose,” said new interim chairman of selectors, Robert Haynes.“There were a number of tough calls we had to make to settle on our squad of 15, including ensuring there was some continuity in the side, but we believe we have chosen a strong squad of players taking into consideration such factors as experience, fitness, team balance, current form and conditions.“In keeping with tournament regulations, we submitted our squad prior to the deadline date of yesterday. All players named for the Tri-Nations Series could, however, stake a claim to be in the final 15-member squad that will be submitted after the Tri-Series and before the final deadline next month.”Dynamic all-rounder Andre RussellAs expected, veteran left-hander Chris Gayle heads the batting group and is now set to play his fifth World Cup and his final, following his announcement earlier this year that he intends to retire from ODIs after the tournament.If there were lingering doubts about the 39-year-old’s form, he quenched them with a Man-of-the-Series 424 runs against England recently and Haynes backed the talismanic former captain to produce at the May 30 to July 14 World Cup.“To have a player the calibre of Chris in the side to lead the batting with his vast experience and his ability to play match-winning or game-changing innings is a blessing for us and the motivation of becoming the leading scorer for West Indies in ODIs is something which I think he will relish,” said Haynes.“Looking at the condition of pitches in ODIs over the last few years in England and Wales, it appears that big totals will be the order of the day, so we believe we have a line-up that can put big totals on the board or chase them, as we have seen from recent matches.“With players like the captain, Jason Holder, as well as Andre Russell in the lower middle-order, we believe we have good depth to our batting which will allow us to play the brand of cricket that will give us the best chance of winning the World Cup.”Gayle will be surrounded by the youth of Shai Hope, Shimron Hetmyer and Nicholas Pooran, all in their first-ever World Cup.Fast bowler Shannon Gabriel, who will also play his first World Cup, will lead the pace attack which includes veteran Kemar Roach, left-armer Sheldon Cottrell and rookie Oshane Thomas.Holder, Russell and fellow all-rounder, Carlos Brathwaite, will all provide additional firepower in conditions expected to be seam-friendly.“We are excited about the pace attack led by Kemar and Shannon, and we are confident that any bowling combination we put on the park is capable of providing a serious challenge to the opposition in any conditions,” Haynes said“It will be a long tournament and it will be important for the bowling attack to stay fit and healthy for us to remain competitive and make a strong push to win the World Cup.”Following the upcoming Tri-Nations Series in Ireland, West Indies will stage a one-week camp in Southampton, May 18-24, before launching their World Cup campaign against Pakistan.SQUAD – Jason Holder (captain), Fabian Allen, Carlos Brathwaite, Darren Bravo, Sheldon Cottrell, Shannon Gabriel, Chris Gayle, Shimron Hetmyer, Shai Hope, Evin Lewis, Ashley Nurse, Nicholas Pooran, Kemar Roach, Andre Russell, Oshane Thomas.
Bale has won four Champions Leagues, one La Liga title, a Copa del Rey and three UEFA Super Cups and Club World Cups during his time at Real, scoring more than 100 goals.After the collapse of his move to China, the 30-year-old Wales international pulled out of a pre-season game in Munich – understood to be because he was not in the right mental state to play.He has returned to the Real team this season, scoring twice in seven matches as they have moved to the top of La Liga.But he was left out of the squad for last week’s Champions League game against Club Bruges, before returning to the starting line-up for the 4-2 win against Granada on Saturday.“Gareth Bale is fed up,” said Balague. “He can do this no longer. At a time when he began to stand out, knowing that as he plays matches his fitness would be sharpened, he suddenly had to watch the game against Bruges in the stands. Nobody knows why.“He is angry, confused. When Zidane returned to the club, he decided he did not want Bale, without anyone having offered a clear reasoning.“Bale was told that Zidane, with whom he has a professional relationship, had made an unequivocal decision and was preparing for his departure.“His agent, Jonathan Barnett, set out to find him alternative options, but Bale preferred – ahead of any other possibility – to remain at the club.“What the Welshman does not quite understand is why the doors were opened, and then they did not let him go. Madrid agreed not to charge a transfer fee to the Chinese side Jiangsu Suning, but ultimately they backed down because they believed that another Chinese team were willing to pay a large amount for James Rodriguez, a rumour that ended up being false.“Bale has played well in recent weeks – partly because he is angry – in response to the distance and coldness with which the coach treats him, and he has finally rebelled at his situation.“It is said that he likes golf more than football, and it is true that he does not live the profession with the intensity of others, either on or off the pitch.“He only asks for minutes to be able to give his best and to be able to offer goals to the team, something they lack.“Leaving him out of the game against Bruges is difficult to understand, and has been the last straw.“For the first time since he arrived at Real Madrid in the summer of 2013, the Welshman wants to leave. He feels that it is not fair what is being done with him.”Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Real Madrid forward Gareth Bale is “angry” and “fed up” at the Spanish giants and wants to leave the club, according to BBC Radio 5 Live’s Guillem Balague.Bale had been set to join Chinese Super League side Jiangsu Suning on a three-year contract in the summer – earning a reported £1m a week – but Real cancelled the deal because they wanted a transfer fee.In July, Real manager Zinedine Zidane said “we hope he leaves soon”, a comment to which Bale’s agent Jonathan Barnett replied: “Zidane is a disgrace – he shows no respect for a player that has done so much for Real Madrid.”
Published on December 15, 2013 at 6:58 pm Contact Trevor: [email protected] | @TrevorHass Trevor Cooney had scored in double figures in seven straight games before Sunday. He had hit five 3s in four of his last five games. He had shot 44 percent from the field during that torrid five-game stretch.But against St. John’s, with D’Angelo Harrison and Co. mirroring his every move, Cooney was held scoreless for the first time in his breakout season. Cooney finished 0-of-3 from the floor, and, despite playing 27 minutes, barely had the ball in his hands.“They did an unbelievable job on Trevor,” Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim said. “He could not get a shot.”Cooney missed all of his shots in the game’s first 13 minutes. From that point on – no looks. Not one. Assistant coach Gerry McNamara, who works closely with Cooney and the other SU guards, said St. John’s shielded Cooney. That meant a slow night for the sharpshooter, but it paved the way for big games from C.J. Fair, Jerami Grant and Tyler Ennis. AdvertisementThis is placeholder text“It’s great to have a guy that’s being played like that,” McNamara said, “because it’s going to open up the paint for other guys to penetrate.” Syracuse shot just 1-of-8 from downtown, but finished a season-best 63.9 percent from inside the arc. The Orange totaled 38 points in the paint and didn’t miss a field goal in the game’s final four-plus minutes.But while nearly every single player shot the ball efficiently, Cooney did not. Boeheim said the only way Cooney would have had looks was on Ennis’ penetration. Most times Ennis drove the lane, though, he was fouled.Cooney simply never generated enough space to get into a rhythm. He tried to curl around screens, but Harrison fought over them and got up in his face. Cooney corralled a rebound late in the second half, but then simply dished the ball back to Ennis, who reset the play. Cooney sat out from the 9:47 mark in the second half to the game’s final minute. Michael Gbinije took his place and played well, snaring rebounds and picking up loose balls. Cooney stayed on the bench, watching as his team reclaimed the lead and pulled away for the win. “Trevor didn’t get any easy looks,” Fair said, “and the couple he did were chippy ones he didn’t make.” Comments Facebook Twitter Google+
London, Nov 26 (AP) Britain’s parliament has seized confidential Facebook documents from the developer of a now-defunct bikini photo searching app as it seeks answers from the social media company about its data protection policies.Lawmakers sought the files ahead of an international hearing they’re hosting on Tuesday to look into disinformation and “fake news.”The parliament’s Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee has “received the documents it ordered from Six4Three relating to Facebook,” Committee Chairman Damian Collins tweeted on Sunday .”Under UK law & parliamentary privilege we can publish papers if we choose to as part of our inquiry,” he said.The app maker, Six4Three, had acquired the files as part of a US lawsuit against the social media giant.It’s suing Facebook over a change to the social network’s privacy policies in 2015 that led to the company having to shut down its app, Pikinis, which let users find photos of their friends in bikinis and bathing suits by searching their friends list.News reports said the UK committee used its powers to compel an executive from Six4Three, who was on a business trip to London, to turn over the files.The files had been sealed this year by a judge in the US case.Lawmakers from seven countries are preparing to grill a Facebook executive in charge of public policy, Richard Allan, at the committee’s hearing in London.They had asked for Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg to appear in person or by video, but he has refused.(AP) RUPRUPadvertisement